For those who are not so lucky to have a fab shop like this locally, then here is my fool-proof-even-a-toddler could do it recipe for cupcakes with All-American frosting inspired by the Hummingbird Bakery.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 Large egg
- 120g Doves Farm's Self Raising Flour
- 140g Golden caster sugar
- 120ml Milk
- 40g Butter (baking butter is good, but normal unsalted butter is fine)
- 50g White chocolate chopped small and roughly
- 8 Raspberries quartered
- 80g Butter (as above)
- 250g Icing sugar
- 25ml Milk
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- A few drops of natural food colouring (Spoons do a good one's which is gluten-free)
If you have a food mixer this recipe is the best no-effort recipe there is, if not a little bit of elbow grease is in order. If the latter is the case for you keep all your ingredients at room temperature and it should be a little easier. I've listed the mixer recipe first and the manual method underneath.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 3 (170c)
- Pop the dry ingredients and the butter into the mixer and mix until combined and sandy
- Pour the milk in and mix until combined
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl and then add to the mixture, mixing for a 30seconds.
- Gently stir in the chopped chocolate and quartered raspberries until well Incorporated
- Spoon the mixture into 12 cake cases,which you will have placed into a cupcake tray (Lakeland do some great re-usable silicon cases)
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer or knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle or until the sponge bounces back to the touch. As with the pastry you wont notice a dramatic colour change but the sponge should become darker.
- Turn out and wait until completely cold before your ice them or your icing will melt and split (yuck)
- Whizz the icing sugar and butter in the mixer for 20seconds
- Add the milk, vanilla essence and food colouring until well combined. Cover with clingfilm and pop in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled down spoon and spread the icing onto your cakes and decorate with sprinkles.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon
- Whisk the egg with a fork in a small bowl and add to the sugar and cream stirring until mixed
- Sift in the flour and stir through with a metal spoon until combined. the mixture will be fairly dry at this stage.
- Stir in the milk, giving the mixture a good beat until everything is well combined.
- Gently fold in the raspberries and choccy and spoon into the cases and bake for 25-30minutes.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a bowl, add the milk,vanilla essence and food colouring beating together until smooth and well Incorporated. cover with clingfilm and pop in the fridge until ready to use.