Tuesday 31 August 2010

Back to School Special: Day 2

I bet you didn't expect to see me again so soon!
Well, as the title suggests its Day 2 of 'A Girls Guide..' Back to School Special and today I'm all about the muffins. To be honest, I have never really liked muffins, I think they're way too big and stodgy and by the time you've got half way through one you feel a bit sick, although I used to be very partial to the Christmas muffins in Starbucks.
This recipe is an adaptation of a Phil Vickery recipe from his 'Seriously Good' book, I haven't actually tried his recipe and the reason adapted it was because I didn't have the ingredients in the house that he listed in the book. They are still very yummy though and are mini versions so are perfect for lunch boxes or for tea breaks when your at work, to me a mini muffin is a more manageable muffin!
Rather ironically Nemesis  to the humble muffin is the dreaded gluten, as Phil explains in 'Seriously Good', because the more you fanny about and mix the flour in a normal muffin recipe the tighter and denser the mixture gets, thus producing a chewy muffin, and nobody wants a chewy muffin.
Now, Phil uses bitter chocolate and cherry in his muffins, but I have a fear of cherries since I bit into one and found a maggot, but at the end of the recipe I'll put the amounts you need to add for the choc&cherry recipe should you want to make that instead of the blueberry and cinnamon recipe I'm posting, I'll also pop up a few other suggestions you might want to try should you be fussy and like neither blueberries or cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥Thank-you for your comment!♥