- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 oz Butter
- 1/4 Pint milk
- 8 oz Self raising flour (Doves Farm, Glutafin)
- 3 oz Cheese (Cheddar or a stronger cheese if you prefer)
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 5 and grease a baking tray with butter (you may need to grease two trays depending on the size and also how big you make your scones, the mixture will make 16-24 mini scones)
- Sieve the flour, salt and cayenne together in a bowl
- Cut the butter into cubes and pop into the bowl with the flour. rub the butter into flour until it looks like breadcrumbs (try to just use your finger tips at this stage, to keep the mixture as cool as possible and also so as not to overwork the mixture)
- Using the fine side of a grater grate the cheese into the butter/flour mixture and stir until the cheese is evenly mixed through.
- Sticky fingers stage! Add the milk gradually, and pull the mixture together into a ball. The mixture shouldn't feel too sticky or wet, but not so dry that it crumbles and cracks when you roll it.
- Roll the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface (don't put too much flour on your worktop because in essence your adding more flour to the mixture, top tip from The Great British Bake Off!). A shot glass the perfect size for these scones, if you have a cutter use that and if you want to make them bigger maybe use a small mug. Brush the tops with milk, and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. If your making the mini version keep your eye on the scones whilst they are in the oven, if you over cook them your liable to crack a tooth trying to eat them.
- When they're cooked take out of them oven, let them cool on the baking tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a rack.
- Slather with butter while still warm, or pop in a sealed box or tin when cool.
fruit scones omit the cheese and pepper and add 2 tbsp of caster sugar, 1 egg and 6oz of fruit.
sweet scones omit the cheese and pepper and just add 1 tbsp of caster sugar
Nutmeg and cinnamon scones omit the cheese and pepper and add 1 tbsp of caster sugar and a tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
Blueberry omit the pepper and cheese, add 1 tbsp caster sugar and 5oz blueberry's
Unfortunalty I cant locate the picture of the cheese scones made by my own fair hands, so the picture above was pinched from the BBC food wesbite!