Perfect for those days when your bundled up under a blanket and its cold and rainy outside. I've kept some of Nigella's original specifications from her chicken noodle soup recipe but changed a few essentials to suit my tastes. If you want to try the original recipe click on the BBC recipe search link under Links to Love.
Makes 4-6 medium bowls of soup
- 1 Litre of chicken stock (I find the stock cubes quite salty, so I use the ready made liquid stock)
- 1x200ml Can of coconut milk (full fat or light)
- 150g/5oz Rice noodles (completely gluten free) if you can't locate rice noodles use spaghetti broken up into small pieces
- 1 tsp Ginger (powdered or fresh, your choice)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Juice of a lemon or lime
- 200g/8oz Chicken shredded, you can use left over chicken a la Nigella, or roast a chicken breast or two and shred, adding to the soup when cool
- 100g/4oz Soya beans (you can find them in the frozen section in most supermarkets)
- If your using stock cubes make up a litre of stock and pour into a large saucepan,if your using the ready made stock pour into the pan. Put the pan over a low heat to warm up.
- Soak your noodles in boiling water, if your using spaghetti break into small pieces and leave to one side to add later.
- Add all the ingredients minus the soya beans and noodles/pasta and bring the whole lot to the boil.
- The chicken needs to be really hot before you add the beans and noodles/pasta. Simmer for 3-4 minutes to let the beans and noodles/pasta cook through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- If your eating the soup then and there ladle into bowls and sprinkle a bit of coriander over the top (optional). Enjoy in your pajama's with your feet up and your favourite book.