I adapted this recipe from ye old faithful Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook who's cakes and biccies are on a par with my one and only Nigella.
- 270g Soft butter
- 160g Caster sugar
- 160g Soft brown demerara sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/4 Tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 380g Plain Flour (as always Doves Farm are great, but any plain flour mix works just as well)
- 1 Tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 110g Rolled oats (omit if you can't tolerate oats)
- 220g Sultana's
- Whack your oven up to Gas 4/180.
- Cube the butter up and throw into a food mixer and blend with the caster and demerara sugars until soft, smooth and well mixed.
- Mix in an egg at a time, making sure it's all thoroughly combined. next add your vanilla and give it all another good blitz.
- With your wet mix done you can get on with the dry ingredients. Sift your flour, salt, bicarb and cinnamon into a large bowl and then adding the oats, giving the whole lot a good stir so the oats and raising agents are distributed well into the mix.
- Stir the butter mix through the dry flour/oat mix and give it all a ruddy good mix, you don't want any dry pockets in the mixture where the flour hasn't been mixed through properly so give it some wellie.
- Add your sultana's or raisins to the mix and give it all one final big mix.
- Spoon onto baking trays lined with parchment, these babies spread faster than swine flu so make sure they're all evenly spaced so you don't end up one with big giant cookie.
- I found that these cookies needed longer than Hummingbird's allotted time of 12minutes, it was more like 20-30 minutes and I had to up the temperature from gas 3 to 4. My advice would be to start off on gas three and check the biscuits after 12 minutes and go from there. They should be firm, and golden (slightly darker round the edges) when they're cooked.
- Once cooked, take them out the oven and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes before you pop them onto a cooking rack.
- Enjoy with a glass of full fat milk or a hot chocolate with your feet in your favourite slippers, your nose in your favourite book and my favourite cookie in your mouth!